My Portrait

My Portrait

Monday, November 8, 2010

Religion in Sweden


            During my rule as monarch, I noticed many changes in my people and their relationship with the Catholic Church. Many new scientists and philosophers were publishing works that were changing the ways of thinking of everyone in Europe. The most effective writers included Locke and Newton. They both instilled doubt in the people of Europe against the Christian church. Their books about knowledge and the ways to obtain it are revolutionary and contradict the church’s teachings and beliefs. These two have proven that the true image of the world we live in is different than what the church claims to be.
           I myself did not have as much trust as the normal person in the Catholic Church and the pope as a Lutheran Christian. I decided to change the church of Sweden to follow the principals of the church that fits my desires. The first thing I did towards this movement was instate a new law on the Swedish church in 1686. This law decreed that I as king would be the ruler of the church like I would rule Sweden. That means I would have control over what is practiced and preached in the church. Then I required all citizens to attend the Sunday service in the church at the risk of arrest if anyone is found outside. In 1689, I also required all citizens of Sweden to be able to read catechisms from the church. Now not only the clergy could read them but people themselves can directly understand the “magnificence of God”. These changes in the church were needed to ensure the people’s faith in God.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to know that you have become the new king of Sweden. It is also very settling to know that he follows my religious beliefs. You are just like me. The magnificence of the Swedish Church will rule on; the greatness of the Catholic Church will die out in Sweden. I am very proud of you. Keep doing what you are doing; I am proud.
    -King Gustav I of Sweden

    ReplyDelete