My Portrait

My Portrait

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Development of the Monarch


            I was able to revive Sweden’s lost power after the wars ended in the 1670. The country as a whole had been neglected ever since the battles started and even before that. The regents that supervised me during my childhood after the death of my father tried to lead the country the way they though it should be run. I have utmost respect for them, but I believe they could have done better and listened to the request made by all of the people of Sweden, not just the more powerful ones. When I finally rose to the place of king, Sweden was in shambles and to make matters worse, we were also at war with other nations. I strove to correct the government and all of its flaws it had gained during the period of time after my father’s death.
            The council members were also in turmoil, so I was able to rule without their influence. I know that before, the monarch would be influenced by the council and they would work together on decisions. Well during the war, I was forced to rule and make imperative decisions without the advice of the council. Once the war was over, one would think this system would go back to normal. However, I asked the council directly if I was still bound to their will. To this, they replied that I was bound to nobody’s will but my own will. This confirmed that I had developed an absolute monarchy with no state council.

No comments:

Post a Comment