My Portrait

My Portrait

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

My Beloved Wife, Ulrika



           The day of my wife’s death was the worst moment in my life. She died in the July of the year 1693. When she fell ill earlier that year, that was the point where my life started to wither away and leave this world. She is the love of my life, even though the marriage was not in the name of love. I have never been even the slightest unfaithful to her. Most other kings would have many spouses or have broken their vow of faith with other women. In time, I came to love her and she loved me back. Ulrika was beautiful and fair. She loved the arts and reading books as much as I loved to hunt and venture. We complimented each other very well.

            After her death, my own health started deteriorating. I believe this was caused by the grief and the shock that resulted from Ulrika’s death. I developed stomach pains that started in 1694, a year after her death. I ignored them for a long while, but the pain intensified and grew. I eventually looked to the doctors for help years later and they found a very large, hard lump in my stomach area. When they told me there was nothing they could do for it, I was devastated. Right then I knew my life would end soon because of this terrible disease inside my body. I was only close to 40 when I found out my life would move on soon. My death finally came in 1697.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my, I take pity on your majesty. Your passion for your wife has brought me to tears! I envy the care your dear wife has received from you, for I have known nothing but abuse and neglect from the men in my life. They left me with nothing but scars and children whome I've had to raise alone! You have been very lucky to have such a remarkable woman. May God give peace to your grief.

    ReplyDelete